Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Magic of Reality – Book Review

The Magic of Reality
by Richard Dawkins

Let me begin this review by commenting on the first phrase you read even before you crack this book open. The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins probably has one of the most impressive titles of all the books ever published. The subtitle is also extremely arresting: How we know what's really true. I got this sleek copy of mine on my second visit to Big Bad Wolf Book Sale Jakarta 2020, and I brought it home for an orgasmic bargain price, partly thanks to a discount voucher I had won from my first visit to the grand book fair. So, what do I have to say about the contents of this little book? Let's get rolling!

The Magic of Reality aims to clearly explain to the readers what is real (and what is not), in life, in the universe. The first chapter sets out the nature of reality and how it compares with magic, and then it is followed by 11 chapters each dealing with a question on a particular subject, several examples of which are "What are things made of?", "When and how did everything begin?", and "Why do bad things happen?". Dawkins begins most of the chapters with myths and then provides explanations for what is really true, or what really happens, through none other than science.

The Magic of Reality is the second book by the world-renowned British scientist that I've read, the first one being the religion & atheism book The God Delusion. The language in The Magic of Reality is "lighter" than in TGD, but Dawkins still writes eloquently in his delightfully conversational style, which would transport readers through his strings of ideas smoothly. It is a book that I wish I could have (and had) read 10 or 15 years ago, at a much younger age – had that really happened, I would have formed a real understanding of reality earlier. Insightful, informative and addictive, The Magic of Reality also has made me wish Prof. Dawkins had been my science teacher in school (not only of biology, but also of physics and chemistry)! In my mind, The Magic of Reality is a terrific (and, indeed, magical) book on introduction to science, quite possibly the best one available.

The book that you see in the photo above – the one that I own – is actually the minimally illustrated (and paperback) edition. To see the richly illustrated (and hardcover) edition, click here. (Even practically without illustrations, The Magic of Reality was so easy to digest; I wonder how much of smooth sailing my reading experience would have been if I had read the lavishly illustrated version!)

I would like to finish this review by making a more general compliment to the author: I believe Richard Dawkins is one of the greatest science communicators out there.

Note: I would be more than happy to discuss my review of this book with you in more detail. Feel free to contact me through one of my social media channels.

Have you read The Magic of Reality? What is your opinion on this book? Share what you think in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment