Monday, October 31, 2022

Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms – Book Review


Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms
by Marvin Terban

English grammar may be a tough nut to crack for many people. But if you ask me what the most challenging part of learning English is, I'd say, without a doubt, it is learning idiomatic expressions. According to my favorite online dictionary, Macmillan Dictionary, an idiom is "an expression whose meaning is different from the meaning of the individual words." This kind of language potentially causes confusion among English learners, and it almost certainly would at some point in their learning journeys. Finding incredibly useful resources for learning idioms is a must-do, and the Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms by Marvin Terban is a must-buy.

This book is a top-drawer idiom reference; I am absolutely blown away by its superb quality. Why should you read the Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms? Firstly, it boasts a whopping over 700 idioms, listed in alphabetical order. The sheer number should massively enrich your idiomatic vocabulary. Next, the definitions given are as clear as a bell. This is crucial to the success of learners' acquisition of the idioms. Thirdly, a simple, easy-to-understand example is provided for every idiom. Definitions are quite indispensable, but examples give the necessary context in which the idioms can be used, and clarify the grammatical roles and behavior of the words making them up. As if these are not enough, the author treats readers to information about the origins of the idioms. I have only read about those which I thought I had to and found them very interesting and well written. Learning how these idioms came to be has helped me incorporate them in my brain. There are also occasional cross-references in this feature, which have further expanded my knowledge of English idioms. All of these make the Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms an invaluable resource for those aiming to improve the idiomatic aspect of their English.

Part of the reason why I love this book so much is the author's fine writing style. Gorgeous, elegant, rich, and eloquent. I have to admit that I really admire Mr. Terban for this forte of his! I would also like you to note that all the idioms in this book are used in American English. This means that a British person might have difficulty in understanding some of them. For British idioms, you may want to check out Work on your Idioms by Sandra Anderson & Cheryl Pelteret.

If you want to be head and shoulders above your fellow English learners, idiom-wise, get the Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms by Marvin Terban at the drop of a hat!

Have you read the Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms? If so, share your two cents in the comment section below!

2 comments: