Friday, November 5, 2021

The Little Book of Humanism – Book Review


The Little Book of Humanism
by Andrew Copson and Alice Roberts

I'd like to begin my review by making a statement: This is one of the most important, if not the most important, books I have ever read in my life. And I do wish I could have (and had) read this book way, way back when I was much younger. Yes, it is little indeed, as the title goes, but do NOT underestimate the impact this book could make on your life – it is gargantuan and potentially life-changing.

The Little Book of Humanism 👫🌏📖 by Andrew Copson and Alice Roberts is a modest-sized book explaining what humanism is and what being a humanist is all about. Here you will find a treasure trove of humanist wisdom and insights in the forms of quotes, meditations, and poems. Among the vast number of humanists featured in this book are Carl Sagan, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Margaret Atwood, David Attenborough, Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Confucius, and Epicurus. Why should you read The Little Book of Humanism? Well, this book is a perfect guide to living your life to the fullest as a human. It aptly begins with a discussion of the veritable nature of humans – how we came about and who we really are – and throughout the book, you will learn about humanist values, virtues, endeavors, and lessons in a good number of chapters on diversity and equality, thinking clearly, and science and progress, for example. What should we base our actions on? Is curiosity a good thing? Does technology deserve to be abhorred? How can we cope with the inescapable thing called death? You'll find answers to these questions and more in this wonderfully informative book.

The text in The Little Book of Humanism is exquisitely beautiful and profoundly luminous. The co-authors employ engaging conversational writing style which makes the book highly readable and accessible. Despite being a nonfiction book, I found this to be an absolute page-turner, wanting to devour more and more to sate my appetite for knowledge about humanism – I was completely hooked and absorbed throughout! It was an immense pleasure to let myself be toured by the superbly educational writers, and I would like to give them an infinite round of applause. 👏👏👏

You may already be a humanist – just as I was before reading it – or you may not. Whichever you are, I believe there is something to learn from this engrossing book which will make you a better human. The Little Book of Humanism is a thought-provoking book that will continue to serve to help people find "purpose, meaning and joy" and bring out the best in them – for themselves and for the world.

Notes:
  • I think the best way to read The Little Book of Humanism is from cover to cover, but picking a random page and reading the content would work too. Enjoy!
  • I could discuss the book in more detail. If you're interested to hear what I have to say, please do contact me personally.

Have you read The Little Book of Humanism? What is your opinion on this book? Share what you think in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment