Friday, December 5, 2014

Inheritance

I'm not talking about that popular novel. In fact, I don't read many novels; I've only read several novels, including, of course, those related to dinosaurs, like Jurassic Park and The Lost World. (Pssst: I've just ordered two other dinosaur novels, The Dinosaur Four and Jurassic Dead. I'm dying for them!!! XD)



Okay, getting back to the subject, so, this word (and the concept) went through my mind sometime in the past. But the intriguing point that impelled me to sit in my quiet workplace and write this hopefully thought-provoking article was its relationship with another word: death.

How many people are alive in the world now? 6 billion? 7 billion? Yeah, just a ballpark figure (I'm not a geographer). But the thing is, most humans that have lived in this worldthat means an unthinkably huge numberhave died. Male and female, black and white, Asian and European. They are gone. People that were once alive, just like us, are gone. What does this life mean for them?

The value of someone is determined by what they do throughout their life, which will eventually become what they have left, what they have inherited, or, in other words, what other people remember about them.

Out of the myriad people, there is only a super tiny fraction that is extremely well-known for their 'remains'. There is no doubt that the name "Albert Einstein" most likely makes people conjure up physics-related stuff. The image of Thomas Alva Edison would lead us to picture his monumental invention, the bulb. These two examples have something that still 'ignites' in today's people's minds. Now I imagine if Jay Chou had passed away now, the first thing that I'd use to describe him is music.

What is 'tickling' me right here right now is the question "Do I want to be an 'ordinary' person, who just entered this realm and will leave without any impressions left for the current and upcoming generations?"

No, I don't. Nonavian dinosaurs already had their days and I want to make my own 'footprints'.

No comments:

Post a Comment